The Gurudwara Majnu Ka Tila is also commonly known as 'Majnu Ka Tila' and spelled as 'Gurdwara Majnu Ka Tila' which lies just opposite Timarpur and on the main Grand Trunk Road also known as NH-1 which runs along the right banks of River Yamuna and falls way after Khyber Pass which is accessible by local transport.
The Gurudwara Majnu Ka Tila was visited by the founder of Sikhism and the first Sikh Guru named Guru Nanak who was renowned for his secular teachings and divine qualities. Guru Nanak sanctified this place during the 15th Century AD when he was travelling across India preaching the good news and love of God.
The origin of this Gurudwara has an intriguing and interesting tale attached to it. Legend has that way back during the 15th Century, when the Delhi Sultanate ruled Northern India under the reign of Sultan Sikandar Lodi of the Afghan and Lodi Dynasty, there used to be a Muslim Hermit or a 'Fakir' who lived in a small hut on the right hand side of the banks of Yamuna River in Delhi. He owned a boat and used it for taking people across the river free of charge and this used to be his daily aim in life that was filled with service towards people which he considered as directly serving God, Meditation and prayers. People used to gift him with food as he would not accept any monetary help. Due to his undying love, dedication and daily service towards God only to get a glimpse of the Devine Being, he was known by everyone as 'Majnu', the name of a Persian Lover, who lived and died in Love similar to the story of the World renowned love story of Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare.
The prayers of this 'Majnu' Fakir was answered when he met Guru Nanak who realised his thirst to see the Supreme Being and blessed him with his glory and divinity that completely transformed the fakir and helped him to attain self enlightenment. After this meeting, the fakir became a devout and avid believer and follower of the teachings of Guru Nanak Ji and after his demise, the small hut where the fakir used to dwell was converted into a Gurudwara and what we all know today as 'Majnu Ka Tila' which means the 'Site of Majnu'.
The Gurudwara of Majnu Ka Tila was also sanctified by the visit of the sixth Sikh Guru named Guru Har Gobind who came to Delhi upon invitation from Mughal Emperor Jahangir where he stayed here for a while and blessed his devotees. Since the 15th Century, this place had become the haven for enlightenment and spiritual seekers who would throng the area including Sufi Saints, Fakirs, Yogis and many others. Through the centuries, this Gurudwara became one of the most visited pilgrim site in Delhi and of ancient, historical and religious significance for all the Sikh Community.
The Gurdwara Majnu Ka Tila is a small complex made of white marble and homes a small sacred pond. It also welcomes devotees from across the country to celebrate the Birth Anniversary of 'Khalsa' which refers to the assembly of all the Sikhs who have been baptized in the Holy Communion Ceremony or 'Amrit Sanchar Ceremony'. The name 'Khalsa' was derived from Arabic word 'Khalis' which means 'Pure' and was a Saint Soldiers' Military Order established by the tenth Sikh Guru named Guru Gobind Singh on 30th March 1699. The Sikh Festival of Baisakhi is celebrated every year with great pomp and enthusiasm wherein the Gurudwara is lit up with bright lights and special prayer service is conducted followed by one of its kind event of providing people with free food called 'Langar' which invites both rich and poor people irrespective of their religion, caste or creed who sit together within the Langar Hall of this Gurudwara and join in this celebration.
Tourists can visit the Gurudwara Majnu Ka Tila, an ancient Sikh pilgrim centre preferably between 1430 hours and 1930 hours on a daily basis with no entry restrictions or photography charges. Everyone needs to ensure to cover their heads with a scarf and remove their shoes before entering into the premises of this Gurudwara as a sign of respect.